What can we make of the reaction by the media following this horrific tragedy? We've seen both sides, primarily driven by the liberal media, try to score political points by making this tragedy into something it wasn't. It truly was a sad thing to watch.
So, what are the facts? Well, his past suggests he was not only insane, but also politically incoherent.
Here’s what we know about the killer (to this day):
- He supported a return to a gold standard, where the issuance of the US dollar is backed by gold – a stance some Libertarians support as well.
- Not only did he read the Communist Manifesto, but he also read Mein Kampf.
- He made a few YouTube videos about how the government is controlling people’s minds (I watched them, they’re a bit creepy).
- He was a pot smoker.
- He was an atheist.
- According to one of his former classmates, Loughner had a strange obsession about the 2012 doomsday scenario.
- He posted comments on a UFO conspiracy website, and even some of those conspiracy theorists thought he was crazy.
- Loughner spoke out against the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.
- He was registered as an Independent, and never voted
- He’d been stalking congresswoman, Gabrielle Giffords, since 2007 (before the Tea Party became relevant)
- Lastly, in an interview with Good Morning America, Zach Olser, Loughner’s last best friend said: "He did not watch TV. He disliked the news. He didn't listen to political radio. He didn't take sides. He wasn't on the left. He wasn't on the right."
These facts do not suggest he was motivated by a “violent” political environment. They instead suggest the man was incoherent. Period. You get that, Krugman?
The truth is this: a tragic event took place that day, where loved ones were lost, and anyone who attempted to politicize this horrendous event (without substantial evidence), should be ashamed of themselves.A nine year old girl was shot and killed that day. Does someone want to convince me how that was politically motivated? He was a nut job, plain and simple.
When everything sorts itself out, and this tragedy eventually blows over, one lesson will be learned: a rational person should not attempt to draw logical conclusions about what an irrational person is thinking.
That is crazy.